Yes, there are plenty of multiplayer horror games on Xbox One, and it can be hard to pick the best ones among them, but we’ve done it for you! These ten free multiplayer horror games will have you screaming at your friends or colleagues in no time—well, maybe not all of these are that scary, but they’re definitely worth checking out! All of the games on this list are completely free, so you don’t have to worry about paying anything!
1) Resident Evil 5: AfterlifeResident Evil 5 follows former Raccoon City Police Department special operations officer Leon Kennedy and his partner, Jessica Sherawat, as they attempt to rescue the daughter of the President of the United States, Ashley Graham. The game was released worldwide on March 11, 2009. It is a sequel to Resident Evil 4 and is part of the Resident Evil series. The game received an 8/10 rating from IGN.
2) Left 4 Dead 2One of the most popular multiplayer games to come out in recent years left 4 Dead 2 is a cooperative game that takes place during the zombie apocalypse. The game features a fun, easy-to-learn gameplay mechanic and a great sense of humor. Xbox Game Pass offers multiplayer horror games.
3) Extinct by DaylightDead by Daylight is an asymmetrical multiplayer game with one killer and four survivors. The objective of the game is to survive until the end of the match while avoiding getting caught by the killer. The players that are being chased need to find weapons, items, and other survivors in order to escape. Players can also play as killers, where they need to hunt down and kill all survivors before time runs out or use their power to slow down time. Players are given a variety of tools that they can use throughout the matches, such as traps and power-ups.
For free multiplayer horror games on Xbox, Dead by Daylight is one of the best options available because it has been continually updated over time with new content, including new maps, characters, gameplay features, and modes.
4) Friday the thirteenthFriday the 13th is one of the best multiplayer horror games on Xbox Game Pass. It’s fun to play with your friends and family and can be really suspenseful when trying to avoid Jason. Unlike other multiplayer games, this one lets you team up against Jason by being friendly toward each other while completing objectives. You can also cooperate in multiple ways, like making distractions or trapping the character in the player’s preferred area.
5) The Second Killing FloorThe best multiplayer horror game on Xbox Game Pass that I have played is Killing Floor 2. The game is absolutely brutal and feels quite realistic, to an extent. When you start playing it and hear the commotion of gunfire going off on the screen, it may make you a little uneasy about the people around you. You know that feeling when you’re scared and something sounds or looks abnormal but nobody else seems to notice it? This is exactly how the game starts off, with screams heard from down a dark hallway and zombies creeping up out of nowhere. The downside to this game is that I can’t seem to find anyone willing to play it with me!
6) Layers of FearA terrifying descent into madness, Layers of Fear is a psychedelic horror game that follows a painter attempting to complete his magnum opus. In this free multiplayer horror game for Xbox, layers of reality will peel away and the player will need to piece together the mystery while evading horrifying apparitions. Though it doesn’t have combat, Layers of Fear is still plenty scary as players enter uninviting buildings with unsettling paintings on the walls and halls filled with personal artifacts from the protagonist’s life. Layers of Fear is one of the best free multiplayer horror games for Xbox, not just because it relies on intense psychological scares, but because of its darkly surreal Victorian style and paint-like artwork, making for an immersive gaming experience unlike any other.
7) Amnesia Collection (Parts 1&2).The Amnesia Collection is one of the best multiplayer horror games on Xbox Game Pass. It’s a complete package, with both Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. It’s also available as a bundle on Steam, so if you’re looking to save some money and have some friends to play with at the same time, it might be worth checking out.
8) Outlast (1&2) CollectionOutlast is a series of psychological horror games by Red Barrels. The first game was released in 2013 and won a number of awards, including Game Spot’s Best PC Game and Most Likely to Make You Faint, as well as IGN’s Best Downloadable Game. Outlast 2 followed in 2017, winning multiple awards such as the 2017 Best Narrative from the Video Game Awards.
The original game has players guiding an investigative journalist through a psychiatric hospital haunted by paranormal beings. The sequel takes place in the same location but tells the story of Blake Langermann, a cameraman who comes to investigate with his wife Lynn, only to find themselves separated under shocking circumstances.